This is the last piece of track art for LOFAM2 that I believe I need to contribute, for The Lovable Tramp’s Rise of the Denizens!
I had the feeling that I had to meet some pretty high expectations when I was called upon to draw this one, so I was pretty nervous about doing it. I spent a long time mulling over how I was going to go about drawing this track art after I completed the art for Stalemate. We don’t know nearly as much about the denizens as we do about the kids or the trolls or even the carapacians, but I took what we do know about the beta kids’ denizens and ran with it.
There were actually a few goofs with the original composition of this drawing - Cetus’ tail was originally pointing to the left but I then decided that having it face the right would give the overall drawing more flow. Also in Hephaestus’ section of the art I had forgotten that Davesprite was injured when he went to him to get the Deringer repaired so for the longest time he had both wings at their full length. Not much to say about Typheus’ section; I had a good idea of what I was going to do with it fairly early on.
Echidna’s section is primarily inspired by the track art for Volume 8’s Bargaining with the Beast, as far as her design goes. I was originally going to include Jack to the right of Jade in that section, but I didn’t find anywhere to put him and I found that the composition looked just fine without him anyway! Although in this memo Jade says that Jack was with him when she was talking with Echidna and I really wanted to draw him, I just couldn’t make him fit. Perhaps I’ll try and remedy that if I ever make a high-resolution version of this!
I knew immediately that I wanted Echidna to be the main focus out of all the denizens because she’s really important in the story since she makes Jade promise to take all the planets, the consorts, the denizens, and everything to the alpha session even if it meant Jade had to die. Then there’s Typheus, who’s facing doomed John, and Hephaestus looking down on Davesprite and offering him The Choice, and Cetus swimming around in the seas of LOLAR, which is now devoid of fish.
I tried to make the sections flow together the best I could - the top areas where Cetus and Typheus’ sections blend into Hephaestus’ section kind of fade without any borders, but I decided to make little borders based on each kid’s aspect to separate each section from Echidna’s section. The breath and light symbols are done in an abstract manner while the time and space symbols are just the straight-up time and space symbols; the space one just overlaps the time one.
I think I’ve rambled enough about this piece of track art, so I’m going to let the rest speak for itself! I hope I’ve done a good enough job living up to the LOFAM2 team’s expectations, and if I’ve exceeded them, that’s great too!
This has been another rambling commentary from Lune.
(THIS TRACK ALSO CAUSED ME A LOT OF PAIN AND SUFFERING BUT IT WAS MORE LIKE “DEAR GOODNESS WHERE DO ALL THESE LAYERS KEEP COMING FROM” THAN “OH GOD HOW AM I GOING TO COLOR ALL THIS BLACK.”
As another side note, the layered .lip file for this had a total of 60 layers not counting the texture layer!
BONUS: When I was starting work on this, instead of copying the texture layer, I accidentally copied Jack over from the layered version of the Stalemate track art. I couldn’t bear to delete him from the file, so he got to stay on the condition that his layer stayed invisible. Sometimes I’d make it visible when I was bored! Poor guy just keeps getting chased by things - first an angry PM and now an angry sea denizen!)
Tagged as: rise of the denizens. lofam2. lofam 2. land of fans and music 2. homestuck. denizens. typheus. cetus. hephaestus. echidna. davesprite. doomed john. jade harley. lune draws things once every blue moon. lune is still terrible at commentary but that's okay?.
- antimnemonic likes this
- princesandwich reblogged this from jakamundi
- sweettoreadoormat likes this
- doyouevenscience reblogged this from jakamundi
- hajimethehinata likes this
- jakamundi reblogged this from tiny-mayo
- jakamundi likes this
- hatefricking reblogged this from tiny-mayo
- rnitsukis likes this
- mystzaiblot reblogged this from p2iioniic2avory
- ajpott22 reblogged this from galactides
- skeleton-prince likes this
- meerier reblogged this from galactides
- evolutionsdarling reblogged this from p2iioniic2avory
- vectordust likes this
- powerpackedfist reblogged this from p2iioniic2avory
- powerpackedfist likes this
- p2iioniic2avory reblogged this from galactides
- galactides reblogged this from tiny-mayo
- sylladexter likes this
- mmspectreon likes this
- kudufawks likes this
- moonyish reblogged this from bl1ndx3no
- azurefallingstars likes this
- falris likes this
- spark-circuit likes this
- lizawithazed reblogged this from hsmusicfansblogthing and added:
- koobergoober likes this
- ishimru likes this
- invaderbekk reblogged this from theoldtaffy
- theoldtaffy reblogged this from bl1ndx3no
- tophattimelady likes this
- bl1ndx3no reblogged this from hsmusicfansblogthing
- turretsyndrome likes this
- walpurgisnachteternal reblogged this from hsmusicfansblogthing
- walpurgisnachteternal likes this
- amazing-e-ko likes this
- heterozygoats likes this
- zerointheeverafter likes this
- hsmusicfansblogthing reblogged this from tiny-mayo and added:
- dodostad likes this
- dogwithabowtie likes this
- matoi-ryukos reblogged this from nepstuck
- nepstuck reblogged this from mrsmittvstheuniverse
- nepstuck likes this
- homestuck-rhymes-with-death likes this
- urbanweasel likes this
- anonymousfarmer likes this
- agentcorrina likes this
- russcoon likes this